Wednesday, December 28, 2011

EDUC 8848: Emerging and Future Technology


Tetrad: iPod and MP3/4 Player

Enhances                       Obsoletes

Music sound quality         CD player
Music portability              Walkman

Retrieves                       Reverses

Feeling of "being there"   Online/cloud storage
Boomboxes                     iPhone/Smart Phone
                                    (although this would
                                     have already happened
                                     by now, unless
                                     something new comes)


People have always wanted to take their music with them. Car radios allow music to go wherever the person traveled. But this was limited to where the car could travel. Portable radios allowed people to travel to different places cars could not but the sound quality and reception were not always good and people were at the mercy of what the radio stations played. Portable cassette players and Walkmans allowed people to take their music with them. But the storage was a problem; people could not carry all their music with them. iPods and MP3/4 players allow people to take the music with them anywhere, anytime. And they can take all of it, provided they have the storage for it. But, they are limited to the device they are using. The creation of cloud computing and storage is changing that. People now can access their music from any device with internet capabilities, thus allowing people to “borrow” a device should they not have one at the ready.

4 comments:

  1. Response to Rand:
    Christine,
    Yes all this is true, the feeling of being there, portability, and quality are all aspects of the MP-3 player. I believe the cloud player will only surpass the MP-3 when is can be a stand alone device and not a storage facility.
    Thank you,
    Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bradley,

    I agree. But I think connectivity where the cloud is concerned will prove to be an issue. Having your music right there no matter where you are is better than only being able to access your cloud music if you have connectivity…which will cost money.

    Thanks.

    -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about online/ cloud storage for music. It would be ideal; you would be able to access your music anywhere. I am just now getting to a place where I am comfortable storing information in the “clouds. I have been experimenting with Dropbox . So far it has been a life saver because I able to retrieve PowerPoint presentations on my iPad. Finally, both of us put Smartphones could replace this technology( Reverses). However, even though the Smartphone has not “currently” replaced the iPod, I think in the “future” it could. Technology is constantly evolving and people are looking for a one for all/convenience. I think Smartphone will eventually provide consumers with this convenience and there will not be a need for an iPod to access music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,

    I do see potential for both the cloud and Smartphone as replacements for iPod/MP3/4 technology. There are kinks that will need to be worked out with the cloud before it reaches its full emergence. But for me the Smartphone is a much closer replacement at this point in time. I have noticed more recently that I do have my music on my phone and carry my MP3 player much less than I use to. I use my phone at the gym and running versus my MP3 player because I will have my phone with me anyway.

    ReplyDelete