Saturday, December 10, 2011

EDUC 8848: Emerging and Future Technology

Emerged Technology

Promethean Boards


Promethean boards (and SMART boards) came into my geographical location with not much fanfare at first. Then without an obvious catalyst Boom! Now they are everywhere and everyone wants one! With all these boards have to offer in improving the educating our students, there are pitfalls.

I will skip the infrastructure issues. First, there is the learning curve. Each teacher has to be taught not only how to operate the equipment but utilize the software. Then there is the tremendous investment of time for lesson plans to be created, adapted, or revamped for usage with the new hardware and software. The potential is seemingly limitless yet the investment of human time and effort needs to be taken into account. Some teachers who have done the same thing year after year are not inclined to change or adapt what they do to incorporate the new technology. Others find that it takes a few hours to reinvent what they do to include the new technology. The learning and time investment is huge, especially at the very beginning.

The boards do bring more interaction into the classroom. They can make lesson come alive. Whole class active participation is possible. The boards provide a platform to reach many different learning styles as possible while encouraging participation and risk-taking on the part of the students. It allows and encourages teachers to bring the world into the classroom for students. It helps transform a class of passive observers into active knowledge creators. There is also a whole online community of educators from around the world sharing thoughts, ideas, and lesson plans.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the number one thing I think schools can do to get the most out of this technology is provide teachers with ONGOING training and support. And in some cases, a little mandated encouragement!

Check out these websites and videos about Promethean Boards:

http://mediasuite.multicastmedia.com/player.php?p=m0c671q1

http://prometheanlearning.com/us/

http://www.prometheanworld.com/

http://www.prometheanplanet.com/en/

5 comments:

  1. Response to Rand:
    Christine,
    I find Promethean board everywhere. I never heard of the product until last year. SMART technologies boards seem to be the standard, and are now becoming cost prohibitive. I agree there is a massive investment no matter which device is utilized. I have my doubts as to the viability of this technology. It seems to be dated and maybe on the downside of the curve. A replacement may be three dimensional technology or even device such as the Kinect. While these devices are pricey, they offer capabilities such as 3D modeling, real time flow and movement, and simulation capabilities. Since schools have invested so much time, effort and capital into interactive white boards these technologies will most likely have to be gifted.
    Thank you,
    Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bradley,

    I appreciate your comments on interactive whiteboard technology. However, I do not believe the technology is on the downward side. Yes, Kinect and other 3-D technology are available, however, besides the cost issue, how to employ those technologies in a manner that INCREASES student learning is a challenge at this time. I think the interactive boards have a good life ahead of them at this point. Will they one day be obsolete? Absolutely. But what the American family can afford to have and use in their home and what a school can are like apples to oranges. One step at a time.

    Thank you,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine I do not think there is not a big issue with lesson planning with Promethan/Smartboards. Because they have been around for a while now, many educators have posted lessons on the internet. Check out SMART Exchange at http://exchange.smarttech.com/search.html. This site has standards-correlated lessons. I literally can look up a Georgia standard and find Smartboard lessons to match.
    I have had one in my class for about two years now and this year, the children do not seem as excited about the boards, the hype has died and the boards have become predictable. At most the students come up and move objects on the board, but what are the others doing while this one students is navigating the board. There is also the problem of the students’ shadow that is cast a crossed the board when manipulating the objects being projected. Yes, it has endless possibilities, but I think it is time for Promethean to start thinking about upgrades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,

    I've had limited experience with whiteboards in general and enjoyed reading your post. But I do agree with your that continuing education and refreshers for teachers would be to ensure that the technology is being utilized to its fullest potential.

    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent coverage of the issues we face with new technologies in the classroom. Every summer I try to learn something new, but I never feel like I have enough time to be what I would like to be and teach the way I would like to.

    ReplyDelete