Sunday, August 8, 2010

Module 5: Static-Dynamic Concept Map



Reflection

I believe I am to the right of the middle of the static-dynamic continuum. I tend to begin my first and second graders at the static end of the continuum. We do internet searches, PowerPoint, and use multimedia software (KidPix) to create presentations. Then in third and fourth grade we move towards the dynamic end of the continuum employing wikis and Skype. Because they are so young and there is much they do not yet know (like how to read) I am limited in how far I can take them once a week for 45 minutes. However, much of our class discussions move up and down the continuum as we discuss technology and they relate what they know or have seen mom, dad, or the siblings do. Most are very familiar with text messaging although most have not participated in it yet (mostly because you need to know how to read and spell to text). Because of the level I currently teach at, moving further down the continuum would require that I have the students more often and for a longer period of time. First graders all pretty much start from the same point every year. They are more “computer savvy” however, their skills are not.

Personally for me, I (currently use and) expect to see a huge leap towards the dynamic end of the continuum after I have gotten my degree and get a new job, hopefully teaching online. But in considering distance education, I believe that it would be a fallacy to think that the “best” practice is to be completely on the dynamic end of the continuum. There is good and necessity in the static end and the middle. Students need to learn how to utilize all of these skills. Some, students and teachers alike, need to be encouraged to move beyond “middle”.


References

Fahy, P. (2008). Characteristics of interactive online learning media. In Anderson, T. (Ed.) The theory and practice of online learning (2nd ed.). (pp. 167-199). Edmonton, AB: AU Press, Athabasca University.

McGreal, R & Elliott, M. (2008). Technologies of online learning (e-learning). In Anderson, T. (Ed.) The theory and practice of online learning (2nd ed.). (pp. 143-165). Edmonton, AB: AU Press, Athabasca University.

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tool. [Unpublished Paper].


******************************

For Module 5, I responded to the following blogs:

William Goldstein
http://billgoldstein.blogspot.com/

Lynne Butkiewicz
http://waldentechnology.blogspot.com/

******************************

8 comments:

  1. Christine...

    Nice job. I think we are about at the same place.

    By the way, what resource did you use for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,

    My resources are listed. See “references” in my post.

    -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. What program did you use to create your graphic organizer and attach it to your blog? I like it! It was really easy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat,

    Hi. I used a program called Inspiration. I used it with my students all the time. Very easy to do! And there's even a button you click and it will "flip over the chart" and everything will be in outline form!

    Here's the link:

    http://www.inspiration.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine!

    It's interesting to consider the learning process of 1st graders! I'm usually fully absorbed with high schoolers. I like your point about utilizing what we have to the fullest to help students learn, no matter the medium or style. In science, the backbone of the courses are usually the textbooks. I don't think it's totally because of the evolution of printed materials. I think it has a lot to do with the nature of the source materials. A class in dance or music would focus largely on performance and drills, likewise because of the nature of what the students were learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine:

    Your concept map was very nice. I thought you covered the dynamic/static very well touching many points that I had forgotten were available to educators. Even though I am not allowed to use many of them in correctional education, I dream of a day I might upgrade to a more dynamic inter active classroom.

    Thanks for your response to my map. I look forward to reviewing your video.

    Chris W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine,
    I enjoyed your video,I found it informational, and at times a little off point. Over-all a good production and citations were included.
    Great effort,
    Bradley

    ReplyDelete